Donating my blood to as many people as i can, through my remaining Lifetime.
I have calculated, that FROM THIS MOMENT (March of 2011) if i donate blood as frequently as i am medically* allowed to, i can fill up more than 47 person with my fresh**, healthy** blood through my approximated lifetime (just make it optimistic ;)). If someone had watched the very end of the movie: Schindler’s list (1993), may feel the potential behind the idea. Every drop might count.
*: in every 56 days | **: constantly working on it..
The infographics above shows the amount of people i can fill up totally with my blood till i reach my 100th year. I have counted the exact number of filled-up people on my 26th, 50th, 75th* and 100th* birthday.
*: however in most places it’s been said, people only between 17 to 65 are allowed to donate blood. We will see..
By an optimal case i would fill up more than 47 people with my blood in the next 75 years. This may be the 100%. In Every 25th year i will report the exact percentage of the successfully donated / transferred amount of blood.
This can be titled as art of “keeping clean”. Not only the soul, but the body. The “art” of sidestepping, avoiding diseases, flu-s, AIDS, living as clean as i can on this nasty, contaminated planet : (hm, just check Biosphere project for example) et cetera..
If you accidentally happen to get motivated by my blood donation project, feel free to go, and squeeze off some red lemonade of yours.;)
- Later, this blood donating date calculator webpage will be helpful to count the nearest date of the next possible blood giving. For men the safe time interval between blood donations is around 2 months (56 days, so 6 times per year), for women it’s about 3 months (so 4 times per year). Minimum weight is 45kg / 110 lbs.
- Here is a health checker tool, which roughly tells you, what’s the deal about your current blood giving availability.
interesting facts about blood
- In one day, your blood travels nearly 12,000 miles.
- Your heart beats around 35.000.000 times per year.
- Your heart pumps a million barrels of blood during the average lifetime — enough to fill three supertankers. Awww
- Here you can see the interesting History of Blood transfusion. (e.d.: “1657: Sir Christopher Wren takes time out from designing cathedrals to inject some fluids into the circulation of animals, using equipment developed by William Harvey”) – ahahah..what a hairpin bend. %)
- In 1921 at the Kings College Hospital, London, the first voluntary blood service has been initiated.
Giving blood is a celebration to me, just as eating food. Why?
Blood circulates on earth as water, but in a smaller amount. When you give blood at the very first time as a volunteer, you explicitly get connected to this “closed circulation system”. I’ve created a term “Blooderhood” for this. It means, that somehow you find yourself aware of the fact, that blood is like CouchSurfing, or blood is like giving your pen to someone while you exactly know, that you presumably will never see that pen again. But you will get an other one from an other person, later. What you give now, you may get back later, in a different place & time. (Or not =)
Iwan’s blood type is A + This is the most common blood type, as iwan knows.
Iwan’s blood donation Diary:
2007.03.01. ✔ #001 – Budapest, first giving with my girlfriend, Sophie. (http://szofitaland.com/) – 4.5 dl
2009.01.16. ✔ #002 – 4.5 dl
2009.06.05. ✔ #003 – 4.5 dl
2009.09.30. ✖ failed (Never-Again i will eat massive lunch 5 minutes before donation :S )
2010.11.25. ✔ #004 – 4.5 dl
2011.02.25. ✔ #005 – 4.5 dl
2011.04.28. ✔ #006 – almost failed (read the story here) PROJECT PAUSED ;( iwan is banned from blood donation until 28th, Apr, 2012. – 4.5 dl
PROJECT CONTINUED 🙂
2012.12.11. ✔ #007 – at my workplace – 4.5 dl
2013.03.13. ✔ #008 – in a customized bus. We had as little room as on the International Space Station. 😀 (4min 30s) – 4.5dl
2013.05.14. ✔ #009 – Hungary, Budapest, at Corvinus University (donation time: 6min 13sec) – 4.5 dl
2015.06.14. ✖ Hong Kong – (Causeway bay donation center) failed at World Blood Donor Day.. (not allowed to donate blood in Hong Kong because of the precautions against possible Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease alias “Mad-Cow” disease)
2015.12.24. ✔ #010 – China, Guangzhou city, 400 ml. All went smooth and well. I’m impressed with the system! Next possible donation in China is 6 (!) months later 🙁 – 4 dl
2016.06. ✖ Taiwan, Taipei – (not allowed to donate blood in Hong Kong because of the precautions against possible Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease alias “Mad-Cow” disease)
2016.08. ✔ #011 – Hungary, Budapest – 4.5 dl
2016.11.27 ✔ #012 – Hungary, Budapest, in the iconic Underground shelter hospital & museum (Sziklakórház Atombunker Múzeum). At the end i fainted then puked, but donation has completed, so all is good! 😀 – 4.5 dl
2017.12.20 ✔ #013 – Hungary, Budapest – with my great fellow friend Via Kaulics photographer. All went smooth, donation time was relaxed: 7min 25s – 4.5dl
All together yet donated 58 dl = 5,8 L blood. ^^
Please feel free to leave comments below to maintain a constructive discussion ☟